How and where to rent a meeting room in Hong Kong
Renting a meeting room in Hong Kong is fairly straightforward. However, before you book it, you need to take a few things into consideration to make sure you end up renting the ideal space depending on the type of event you’re going to host as well as the number of attendees.
Booking the wrong meeting room can turn your event into a nightmare. Disappointing your guests can potentially hurt your business in the long run. In this article we’ll tell you everything you need to consider before renting an event venue in Hong Kong. We will guide you through the process of booking the perfect room for meetings, conferences, seminars, talks or any kind of event you might want to host.
First, let’s cover the characteristics you need to consider in a meeting room before you book it: the furniture, equipment, location, size and costs.
Furniture and equipment
Depending on the kind of event you’ll host and how interactive your presentation is going to be, you might need equipment you don’t own. Do not assume every meeting room has a whiteboard and a projector, as some just offer a few chairs and others are simply an empty space.
The most common equipment you might need includes:
- Whiteboards (with pens, markers and erasers)
- Projector or TV display (with corresponding cables and adapters)
- Easy access to outlets or extension cords
- Office supplies
Make a list of all the equipment or gadgets you’ll need and search for meeting rooms accordingly. We recommend you to get a space that already includes everything you’ll need as bringing your own equipment can easily turn into a logistical nightmare.
When it comes to furniture, chairs and tables must be comfortable enough for the attendees to sit for as long as necessary.
Also, all guests must be able to perform any tasks or activities the hosts ask them to do. There’s nothing more uncomfortable than telling an audience to take their laptops out when there aren’t enough tables for everyone, telling them to form groups when the furniture is on the way and can’t be easily moved, or even worse, inviting them to take a seat and realizing there aren’t enough chairs for everybody.
Furniture style can also make a big difference on how your guests perceive the event. Special furnishings such as sculptures, extra lightning, tabletop centerpieces, or paintings can enhance the venue’s appearance, so consider both factors when looking for an event space in Hong Kong.
Ideally, the location of the meeting room should be as accessible and convenient as possible. If it isn’t, some attendees might get lost, arrive late or simply decide not to go at all.
Renting a meeting room near a MTR, Tramway or bus station is always a good idea. If some guests are expected to drive, make sure the meeting room has its own or easy access to a parking space.
Size & capacity
When booking a meeting, conference or any event space in Hong Kong, you will almost always be given the room’s capacity in terms of how many people can fit in the space, which makes it easier for you to know for sure there will be space for everybody.
However, we recommend you to always check the actual size of the room and calculate the capacity according to how close you want guests to be from each other. Here are some rules of thumb when it comes to calculating an event capacity:
- ~6 ft2 per guest for standing crowd
- ~8 ft2 per guest for a mixed seated and standing crowd or auditorium-style seating
- ~9 ft2 per guest for reception-style seating with a dance floor or small stage
- ~18 ft2 per person at desks
- ~40 ft2 per person for conference tables and hollow squares. This is also the minimum capacity recommended to comply with social distancing measures.
Food and drinks
For events longer than 3 hours, food and drinks will be necessary.
Most meeting rooms offer free water and coffee for small groups. However, you might want to double check if other drinks or snacks are included as part of the meeting room rental package or if they are available to provide such services for an extra fee. Again, food can easily turn into a logistical nightmare, so if you need a generous amount of meals and drinks, contact the venue beforehand and ask for their catering services; most of them will be able to help.
If you are not planning on offering free food, at least make sure guests will have the option to purchase anything they might need within or near the meeting room’s facilities.
Meeting rooms in Hong Kong are priced based on all the factors mentioned above (equipment, facilities, location and size). The bigger, more luxurious, better equipped and better located, the more expensive it gets.
They are typically priced on an hourly basis and can go anywhere from HK$1 to over HK$7 an hour per ft2 . The longer you rent a meeting room for, the easier it is to get better rates and discounts.
Since the prices vary widely, we advise you to check our meeting rooms in Hong Kong listing and compare rates directly on our website. This is how to do it:
How to rent a meeting room in Hong Kong
Now that you know what to look for when renting a conference room or event space in Hong Kong, this is how you can book one:
- Visit FLYDESK workspace network and select “Hong Kong” as your location and then click “meeting room”.
- You will be taken to the full list of meeting rooms, seminar rooms, conference rooms and event spaces available all across Hong Kong. To narrow down the results to a specific area, use the interactive map on the right half of the screen by selecting the “search as I move the map” option. Then, you’ll immediately see all the meeting rooms available in the area along with their capacity and hourly rates, which makes it super easy if you want to compare all the different spaces. If you are looking for specific characteristics, you can also filter by capacity, budget, attributes and features.
- When you click on a meeting room, FLYDESK will show you all the details about the space, including pictures, full prices, features, address and availability. On that same page, you can simply make an inquiry and you’ll receive all the details via email. Just as simple as that!
Check our meeting rooms in Hong Kong right here
Featured image from V-Co meeting room, available FLYDESK