How to find a hot desk in Hong Kong
Having the freedom to work from anywhere in the world might sound exciting, but the reality is that sometimes we all need a proper workspace that offers the right environment we need to feel productive and get work done.
With many membership packages, coworking spaces offer remote workers or anyone who needs a place to work from, a space where they can set up their equipment for the day. Most coworking spaces offer private and semi-private offices as well as dedicated desks. However, hot desking is definitely the preferred option among coworkers.
This article will tell you everything you need to know about hot desking in Hong Kong: what it is, how it works and how to find a hot desk.
What does hot desking mean and how does it work?
Hot desking is when workers who share an office space don’t have a dedicated or specific desk that belongs to them. They can grab whatever desk is available when they get to the working space every day on a first come, first served basis.
This office organization system is very popular among self employed, freelancers and small businesses because it’s a more affordable alternative to renting a traditional office. Coworkers are expected to bring their own equipment, set up their workspaces every single day and take all their belongings with them at the end of the day.
Hot desks are available in coworking spaces, which are serviced workspaces where workers from different companies use the same facilities. In Hong Kong, there are plenty of coworking spaces that offer hot desk membership packages. These packages often include access to the facilities and many other extra amenities such as private lockers, free coffee, drinks and snacks, private phone booths, IT support, access to community events, meeting rooms, dining areas, gym, showers and wellness rooms.
In terms of prices, they vary greatly depending on the area, overall facilities and extra amenities. One of the benefits of working from a coworking space is that most don’t require members to sign long-term contracts. You can request a hot desk membership package for a full year, a month, a week, a day or even just a few hours. It’s up to you!
Pros and cons of Hot Desking in Hong Kong
- When compared to renting a traditional office space, hot desking is very cost efficient, particularly for businesses with few employees.
- Hot desking memberships are very flexible when it comes to prices and contracts. You only pay for the facilities you’ll use and can usually cancel or upgrade any time.
- Coworking spaces are great places to network and meet potential partners, clients or simply to make new friends. Working from home or a private office can make you feel lonely in the long run.
- If you are a freelancer or self-employed, having a hot desk in a coworking space allows you to separate your personal life from your work life, which might be difficult to achieve when working from home.
- While hot desking could be cheaper than renting an office space, coworking spaces in Hong Kong still do cost money. There are plenty of options for various budgets, but it’s definitely an expense you’ll have to be responsible for every month.
- Hot desking requires you to always carry your equipment with you. This is not a problem if you only need a laptop to get work done. However, if your equipment doesn’t fit in a backpack and weighs over 4 kilograms, you might want to consider getting a dedicated desk instead.
- With so many different people working and activities happening in the same area, distractions are very common. Most coworking spaces can easily fit over 50 people, and at some point during the day they are going to walk around, talk to each other or simply talk on the phone. If you get easily distracted and need to have absolute silence all the time in order to get work done, a shared working space might not be the best option for you.
Finding a hot desk in Hong Kong
At FLYDESK, you can find coworking spaces that offer hot desks all around Hong Kong, including areas like Central Hong Kong, Sheung Wan, Causeway Bay and Tsim Sha Tsui.
Here’s how to find them:
- First, visit our hot desks in Hong Kong page.
- Then, use the map on the right side of the page so you can filter down to places near you or in any other specific area.
- Use the filter tool if you want to narrow down the results based on your budget or the amenities you’d like to get access to with your membership.
- When you see a listing you like, click on it and FLYDESK will immediately show you all the details about the space including pictures and prices.
- You can also schedule an appointment to go see the space or even work from there for a few hours before you make a decision.
If you are flexible with the budget and location of the coworking space, you should read our article on the top inspiring coworking spaces in Hong Kong, in which you can find 5 of the best coworking spaces in Hong Kong. And, if you are not sure how to choose the right coworking space for you, we put together this article with the key criteria to choose a coworking space, which will help you make the best decision. Check it out!